TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Wolves receive boost in battle for free agent Pepeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves have received a boost in the battle for free agent Pepe.The Portugal defender is available after being released from his deal at Besiktas last month.Pepe is receiving offers from around the world, however O Jogo says he now favours two destinations.AS Monaco have been speaking with Pepe’s minders, but the feedback has been he isn’t interested in a move to France.Instead, Pepe wants to continue his career in either England or Portugal. And in England it is Wolves which have shown the most concrete interest.
Larry Johnson, the defensive line and assistant head coach at Ohio State University, refuses to accept mediocrity from his players. He expects nothing but the effort to be extraordinary.In an inspiring pump up speech to the Buckeyes, Larry Johnson motivated the team to push past the edge – past slacking performance – and become elite.He explains that elite “is not going to the edge and saying, ‘I’m average, I’m good for the day.’” With the team’s full focus in his grasp, the coach proclaims, “We got a chance to step on the edge…To be elite, you’ve got to take the fall. You can’t be afraid to jump…There’s no more average in this program!”Head coach Urban Meyer shared the inspirational speech on Twitter. You can watch the message below.Very lucky to have a coach like Larry Johnson on this staff to push our team past THE EDGE to become ELITE pic.twitter.com/9eD0FiEd0i— Urban Meyer (@OSUCoachMeyer) August 17, 2016If you don’t have chills, you can’t possibly be a true Buckeyes fan.Ohio State kicks off its 2016 season at home against the Bowling Green Falcons.
New Delhi: An exchange of fire took place between police and criminals near the Akshardham metro station here on Sunday. The gang, however, managed to escape. Police said that they are conducting raids to nab the accused.Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Jasmeet Singh said that the incident took place at around 10:45 am when the police were trying to nab the criminals involved in duping several people near the metro station. According to police, a team from Mandawali Police Station laid a trap and when the white-coloured car carrying the criminals approached, it was signalled to stop, a police officer said. The occupants were asked to come out of the car, however, they fired at the police team. The police retaliated and both sides fired one round at each other, however, no one was injured, the police said. The gang drove towards Geeta Colony flyover and the police team gave chase but could not catch them, they added. Police claimed that they have formed several teams and raids are going on at various places to nab the accused. At the time of the incident, people were nearby the spot. Boy stabbed to death in Central Delhi, 2 held A 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death allegedly by two juveniles following a quarrel in Central Delhi’s Nabi Karim area on Sunday, police said. The two boys have been apprehended, they said. It is suspected that the boys were arguing over a monetary matter, police said, adding that they received a call about the quarrel around 3.30 pm The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital by his friend, who was present at the time of incident, but was declared brought dead, a senior police official said.
Kolkata: Allaying all fears on National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday assured that there is no reason to panic as not a single individual will have to leave the state.Her statement comes on a day when Union Home minister Amit Shah addressed a convention on NRC at the Netaji Indoor Stadium in the city and said that the people are being “misled” on the issue. Banerjee said that the state government had not received any letter from the Centre on NRC so far. She once again clarified that the Centre will not be able to implement NRC in Bengal without the state government’s permission. Urging the people to maintain religious harmony and not to create any division, she appealed to the BJP, without taking any name, not to try to break the social fabric of the state. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaEchoing similar thoughts, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra added that Shah had triggered a sense of fear and confusion in the name of NRC among the people of Bengal when they are in a mood to celebrate Durga Puja. “The Union minister, during his speech, triggered fear and confusion among the people in the name of NRC. When he should have become a part of the celebrations, he chose to spread tension among the people instead. Bengal has a long heritage, and people rejoice during the festive season together. He could have visited the Puja pandals in the city and soaked in the festive fervour,” Mitra said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayHe further stated: “We are disheartened to see the Union Home minister dividing people along religious lines. Taking the names of various communities, Shah assured that Hindus, Christians, Sikhs will not be driven out of the country. In a country like India, can a person who holds such a high office single out one particular community? Does the Constitution of India validate what the Union minister has said? His statements are uncalled for and unconstitutional. What he said is in conflict with our Constitution.” Earlier in the day Union Home minister Amit Shah declared the NRC is “a must” for national security and will be implemented, but made it clear that Hindu, Sikh, Jain and Buddhist refugees will be accorded Indian citizenship beforehand with the passage of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill. Shah was addressing a BJP seminar on the National Register of Citizens, which has hitherto remained confined to Assam. “No country in the world can run smoothly while carrying the burden of so many intruders. This has to stop. We are working towards changing Bengal. NRC is a must. We will have to implement NRC to ensure the country’s safety and security,” Shah had said. In a related development, Uttar Pradesh police chief O P Singh has asked all district units to run a campaign to detect illegal Bangladeshi migrants, in instructions issued amid the political row over the National Register of Citizens update in Assam.
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday arrested two more armed killers as Delhi witnessed its second encounter in the last 24 hours.As per police sources, the shooting incident took place in the Shahdara area of East Delhi on Tuesday morning. The arrested accused were identified as Taj Mohammed alias Taju (21), a resident of Muzzafar Nagar in UP and Liyakat Ali (48), a resident of Sonepat in Haryana. “We were working on the input. We received a tip about these 2 contract killers who were on their way to kill somebody. We were able to trace the location of the incident and a team was immediately formed to lay the trap for the criminals,” DCP of Special Cell, Sanjiv Yadav said. Earlier on Monday morning, there was an encounter in a special cell and miscreants in Delhi’s Dwarka area. In this encounter, the police have succeeded in arresting Kuldeep Rathi. Rathi is extremely close to the infamous crook Kapil Sangwan.
New Delhi: Japanese car-maker Toyota’s luxury vehicle arm Lexus on Thursday launched luxury hybrid electric SUV RX 450hL in India priced at Rs 99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The fourth generation model, which now comes with an additional third row seating, will be available for booking starting this month. The model comes with a BS VI compliant 3.5-litre petrol engine. “The improved technology, design and attractive pricing will surely make RX 450hL a desirable car for our discerning guests,” Lexus India President P B Venugopal said in a statement. The introduction of the new model is a testament to the company’s continued commitment to the Indian market, he added.
San Francisco: Electric car manufacturer Tesla has delivered approximately 97,000 cars around the world in the third quarter of 2019, falling short of the 100,000 milestone the company had hoped for. “We achieved record net orders in Q3 and are entering Q4 with an increase in our order backlog. As was also the case in Q2, nearly all of our Model 3 orders were received from customers who did not previously hold a reservation, solidifying the transition to generating strong organic demand,” the company said in a statement on Wednesday. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year During the last quarter the company managed to deliver 95,200 vehicles to customers across the globe, which broke a record the company set in the fourth quarter of last year. Earlier, in an e-mail sent to employees Musk said that the company has a chance to deliver at least 100,000 vehicles this quarter. “We have a shot at achieving our first 100,000 vehicle delivery quarter, which is an incredibly exciting milestone for our company!” Musk said. In addition, Tesla is buying DeepScale, a California-based small artificial intelligence (AI) start-up, to improve its autopilot driver assistance system. The acquisition could help Tesla fill the talent gap in the autopilot group.
New Delhi: Fake news is more dangerous than paid news, and there is a need for the government and the media to combat it jointly, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Thursday. The government will not take any step that may curb media freedom, the minister said and suggested there should be some regulation on over-the-top platforms (OTT), as there is for the print and electronic media as well as films. OTT platforms include news portals and also ‘streamers’ such as Hotstar, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which are accessible over the internet or ride on an operator’s network.
Los Angeles: Nick Taylor fired a sparkling eight-under par 63 on Friday to take a one-shot lead over Brian Harman in the US PGA Tour event in Las Vegas, where five-time major winner Phil Mickelson was in the mix. Canada’s Taylor found 14 of 14 fairways and 15 of 18 greens in regulation. He didn’t miss a putt from within 10 feet, rolling in six birdies and an eagle at the par-five 15th on the par-71 TPC Summerlin course. “It’s going to be hard to top today’s round tomorrow,” admitted Taylor, who drove the green on the 325-yard 15th and rolled in a five-foot eagle putt. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju Taylor came into the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open off a tie for 10th in Napa, California, last week. He said the results have been building over the past year. “Not much I’m not comfortable with right now, which is always a good thing,” said Taylor, who was once the top-ranked amateur in the world. “If I hit it on the greens, I’ve been able to manage pars, capitalize on birdies, so overall (it’s) been relatively easy.” Harman also made things look simple, nabbing seven birdies in a seven-under par 64 to stand alone in second. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai Masters American Maverick McNealy had joined Taylor at eight-under through 16 holes, but he closed with back-to-back bogeys. McNealy found the water at the par-three 17th and three-putted 18 from 42 feet — missing a six-footer for par — to fall into a group of five players sharing third on 65. – Mickelson ‘excited’ – ======================= That bunch also included Mickelson, who shook off an opening bogey at the 10th hole to post seven birdies in his six-under effort. “After the bogey on the first hole, I played some really good golf,” Mickelson said. “I kept the ball in play and hit a lot of fairways. Right now, my iron play is really good, and so if I continue to give myself chances from the fairways I’m going to hit it close enough to make birdies.” Mickelson, 49, said he was finally feeling the benefits of a renewed focus on a healthy lifestyle. He said he’d shed some weight thanks to improved diet and a workout regimen. The results hadn’t shown much when he missed the cut last week in Napa. But his 65 on Thursday matched the best round he’d posted since his win at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am last February — a victory that was followed by months of disappointing results. “Excited to play some good golf again,” Mickelson added. A dozen players were tied on five-under 66, a group that featured Australian Adam Scott and American Chase Koepka, younger brother of world number one Brooks Koepka. Brooks Koepka, making his first start of the 2019-2020 season, looked a little rusty in carding a one-under par 70 that included five birdies and four bogeys. Koepka revealed this week that he had stem cell injection therapy on his left knee in September to treat a partially torn patella tendon. The American, who won a second straight PGA Championship in 2019, also shared second at the Masters behind Woods and was second at the US Open behind Gary Woodland. He was equal fourth at the British Open — and said with knee pain behind him he is primed for even better things this season. “I can finally practice again, which is nice, without pain,” he said.
Kolkata: Kolkata Police has launched an investigation against tour operators Cox & Kings (India) in a cheating and misappropriation case for allegedly collecting an amount of Rs 40 crore from around 75 people “on the pretext of conducting overseas tours”. The tour operator failed to fulfil the commitment and did not return the booking amount, a top officer said on Friday. According to reports, the company has allegedly shut down its 6, Russel Street office and given notice of its inability to conduct overseas tours. There are also reports that the company has asked 2,000 employees to resign pleading helplessness in paying their due salaries for three months. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja A case has been registered against the directors and promoters of the company Cox & Kings (India) Limited on the complaints lodged by Camelia Dutta and others, Joint Commissioner (crime) of Kolkata Police Murlidhar Sharma said. The complaint against the company was registered at the Shakespeare Sarani police station under sections of the Indian Penal Code for criminal breach of trust, cheating and criminal conspiracy, the officer said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe complainants had alleged “cheating and misappropriation of booking amount” to the tune of Rs 7.50 crore “on the pretext of conducting tour in different foreign countries”, Sharma said. “Enquiry reveals that the company has collected huge the amount of Rs 40 crore from approximately 75 complainants for conducting tours in different countries on the basis of their reputation but neither fulfilled the commitment nor returned the booking money,” he said, alleging that it ’caused wrongful loss’ to the complainants. The detective department of the city police is conducting the probe, he said.